Our Mobile Security Guarantee
We will fully reimburse you in the unlikely event that you suffer direct financial losses due to unauthorised activity1 in your accounts through Scotia Mobile2 provided you have met your security responsibilities.
Our Commitment to You:
At Scotiabank, we’re committed to ensuring the online security of your financial transactions and the confidentiality of your information. As part of this commitment, we have instituted a number of security measures to help ensure the integrity of your transactions and your account information from login to logout, including:
- We use 128bit SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) ensuring end-to-end encryption from the device to the bank, meeting industry best practices for cryptographic standards, during online/wireless transactions. In addition, WAP 1.0 browsers are not allowed to use the application (automatic blocking in place) thus closing a well-known security vulnerability with the WAP protocol.
- We have firewalls and monitor our systems to prevent unauthorised access to our internal systems and maintain the safety of your information.
- We provide security features like Remember My Card, user identity verification through multiple factors additional to the unique ScotiaCard password combination, and Session Timeout.
- We designed our interfaces so your account and credit card numbers are never displayed, nor your personal information.
A Shared Responsibility:
To ensure you are protected under the Mobile Security Guarantee, you must do your part, too. That means it is your responsibility to abide by the terms of our customer agreements3 and follow the guidelines in the Safe Computing and Mobile Practices section of Scotiabank’s website. In particular, you must:
- Carefully select your Scotia OnLine / Mobile Banking sign on password and Access Code and ensure that they are different from one another. Never select a password or Access Code that is the same as or similar to an obvious number combination such as your date of birth, bank account numbers, ATM PIN number, or telephone numbers.
- Keep your ScotiaCard number, Scotia OnLine / Mobile Banking sign on password, and Access Code confidential. Do not divulge this information to anyone - including family members, friends, employees, bookkeepers, or anyone else. Do not write this information down, keep a poorly disguised record of it, or keep it together with your ScotiaCard card.
- Never store your banking passwords on your phone and secure your mobile phone with a password.
- Notify us immediately in the event of loss, theft, misuse, or compromise of your ScotiaCard number, Scotia OnLine / Mobile Banking sign on password or mobile device.
- Use your wireless data connection when you are banking on the go — avoid defaulting to public wi-fi services on your smartphone, especially when you're transmitting sensitive information.
- Never respond to pop-ups, emails, or SMS requests that ask you to reveal personal information about yourself or your Scotiabank accounts. Scotiabank will never send you unsolicited emails or text messages asking for your password, Personal Identification Number (PIN), credit card number, or account numbers. We will never ask you to validate or restore your account access through unsolicited email or text message.
- Review your statements and report any errors in a timely manner. Different transactions have different reporting deadlines. Please see the applicable account agreement statement for further details.
- Assist us in any investigation into improper access to your accounts.
"Unauthorised activity" means a transaction that was carried out in your Scotiabank account through Scotia OnLine without your permission, authorisation, or knowledge and where it can be established that you are a victim of fraud, theft, or coercion.
"Accounts" include all accounts that are accessible through Scotia OnLine.
Customer agreements include Personal Financial Services Agreement (PFSA), the Scotiabank Group Privacy Agreement, as well as the agreements governing your personal or business banking or other financial service or product offered by us.